The Meewasin concept is known and studied around the world as a model of what a community can do to conserve a river valley for the purpose of health and enjoyment; Meewasin has been recognized internationally on numerous occasions:
Elaine Burke Memorial Award “Meewasin River Stewardship Program” presented for Community Achievement in Active Living and the Environment
- Canadian Architect Yearbook Award of Excellence, Meewasin Valley Authority & Moriyama & Teshima Architects for the Meewasin Valley Project (100 Year Plan)
- 18th Annual Yorkton Short Film & Video Festival – Commercial-Promotional Vignette: A Meewasin Moment “I Remember Saskatoon”
- Governor General’s Conservation Award for outstanding contribution to managing the resources of the Canadian environment through Administration
- IABC Canada Silver Leaf, Meewasin Valley Authority Slide-Tape “I Am A River”
- Waterfront Centre Annual Award for Excellence on the Waterfront – Fred Heal, Meewasin Valley Authority, for a quality waterfront project selected in a juried competition.
- Community Achievement Award in recognition of substantial cooperative community effort demonstrated in the development of Wanuskewin Heritage Park
- Heritage Canada Achievement Award in recognition of excellence in Heritage Conservation
- Excellence on the Waterfront – the Waterfront Centre
- Canadian Parks Service Heritage Award in recognition of exceptional and signification contribution to Canada’s heritage.
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, confers citation upon Delcan Western Ltd., for outstanding achievement in the profession of Landscape Architecture for the Saskatoon Natural Grasslands Resource Management Plan, for Meewasin Valley Authority, in collaboration with the Saskatchewan Research Council Jones Heritage Resources Consulting.
- Gold Award of Excellence in Interpretation, Meewasin Valley Authority Public Programs Unit, for “Build it and They will Come,… Only if they Know About it!”, in the category of Other-Marketing Strategy.
- Award of Excellence tourism Industry of Saskatchewan for development of Wanuskewin Heritage Park
- Premier’s Award of Excellence in Design, Category: Architecture, Project: Wanuskewin Heritage Park, Designer: Lawrence Dressel, Design Firm: AODBT Architecture Ltd.
- The Canadian Healthy Environment Award presented to Partners for the Saskatchewan River Basin in recognition of a healthy environment.
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects confers Honor upon Hilderman Witty Crosby Hanna & Associates for outstanding achievement in the profession of Landscape Architecture for Wanuskewin Heritage Park.
- Finalist, Saskatoon Achievement in Business Excellence Awards
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects confers Regional Honour upon Crosby Hanna & Associates for outstanding achievement in the profession of Landscape Architecture for Riverworks
- Premier’s Awards of Excellence in Design, Category: Landscape Architecture, Awarded to: Crosby Hanna & Associates, Project: Riverworks Weir Redevelopment
- Excellence on the Waterfront, Waterfront Center Annual Award – Honor Award, Meewasin Riverworks Weir and Crosby Hanna & Associates for a quality waterfront project selected in a juried competition.
- Thiess Riverprize International Finalist
- Best Outdoor Skating Spot in Canada – Readers Digest
- Premier’s Awards of Excellence in Design, Category: Landscape Architecture, Awarded to: Crosby Hanna & Associates, Project: River Landing – Riverfront Master Plan
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects confers National Merit upon John Gerstmar for the outstanding achievement in the profession of Landscape Architecture for Landscape Management: Biodiversity through Sheep Grazing
- Royal Architectural Institute of Canada National Awards Program: Urban Design Award – Certificate of Merit for approved or adopted urban design plans awarded to Crosby Hanna & Associates in recognition of River Landing Riverfront Master Plan
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects confers Regional Merit upon Crosby Hanna & Associates for the outstanding achievement in the profession of Landscape Architecture for the River Landing Riverfront Master Plan
- Member of the Year SPRA for outstanding achievement in the improvement of parks and recreation in Saskatchewan
- Finalist, The Green Award NSBA Business Awards
- Regional Centre of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development – Recognition Program acknowledges Meewasin – Riverfront at River Landing as an innovative project that has helped to increase the capacity for sustainable development in the Saskatchewan region and contributed to the advancement of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014).
2009 - 2010
- City of Saskatoon Heritage Award for Heritage Space, Kedge Anchor, River Landing Riverfront (at Traffic Bridge), presented to Lloyd Isaak, Meewasin Valley Authority in recognition of outstanding commitment in preserving Saskatoon’s heritage resources.
- Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association - Cecil Nobes Facility Award of Excellence for Meewasin’s Kinsmen Fishing Platform for construction of a new facility that has improved parks and recreation in Saskatchewan. (Below: Darrell Lessmeister, SPRA President, presents the award to Meewasin’s Doug Porteous for the Kinsmen Fishing Platform, October 2011, “For construction of a new facility where the unique or outstanding design contributes to the overall efficiency or accessibility of the facility operation…” (image below)
- Top 10 Greatest Hikes in Canada – Readers Digest (Read More)
- Saskatchewan Masonry Design Awards - Honourable Mention Architectural-Commercial: Small Footprint – Meewasin Rink Development
- Star Phoenix 52 Reasons to Love Saskatoon – Meewasin Valley totaled 23 of them
- Premier's Awards of Excellence in Design Award of Merit for Integrated Design of the Kinsmen Park & Area Master Plan
- Saskatchewan Tourism - Land of Living Skies Award, honors a tourism business that respects the three pillars of sustainable tourism development – economic viability, environmental sustainability and cultural appropriateness. (image below)
- City of Saskatoon Heritage Award - Honourable Mention for the Restoration Exterior for the A.L. Cole Pumphouse
- Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan 2015 Heritage Excellence Award for Stewardship. For outstanding contributions to the conservation of Saskatchewan’s built heritage. Owner/Operator: Wanuskewin Heritage Park Authority; Founding Partners: Meewasin Valley Authority, Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations, Friends of Wanuskewin, University of Saskatchewan Archeology Department; Architect: AODBT Architecture + Interior Design.
- Premier’s Awards of Excellence in Design during Saskatchewan Design Week: River Landing Riverfront Phase 2 – Award of Excellence in Landscape Architecture – Design: Crosby Hanna and Associates; Meewasin Northeast Swale Master Plan – Honourable Mention in Landscape Architecture – Design – Meewasin Valley Authority; and Meewasin South East Trail – Award of Merit Integrated Design (Involvement of three or more design professions) – Design: Stantec Architecture Ltd.
- Prairie Conservation Award - Luc Delanoy was presented the Prairie Conservation Award which is presented to a derserving recipient from each of the three Prairie Provinces once every three years in recognition of significat long-term contributions to native conservation. Mr. Delanoy worked for the Meewasin Valley Authority for 32 years. He served as the Resource Management Officer, managing over 60 km of the South Saskatchewan River, and 8,400 ha of native prairie, riparian forests, wetlands, and other conservation priority sites.
- Meewasin was awarded the 2017 Native Restoration and Reclamation Award by the Saskatchewan Prairie Conservation Action Plan.