The unit is made up of a design team, construction crew, and a horticulture crew. We design, build and manage the natural environment and public open space with projects ranging from significant park and trail developments, to minor projects such as bench and sign replacements. The unit uses in-house expertise where appropriate for smaller projects and works with consultants and contractors on larger projects.
The unit implements projects identified in the Meewasin Development Plan, maintaining high standards of landscape and architectural design that are aligned with public need and sympathetic to the natural environment and heritage resources. All applicable projects are subject to Meewasin Development Review and approval.
Key roles include:
- Prepare design plans and detailed working drawings for projects;
- Communicate design intent;
- Implement physical development;
- Operate existing facilities (Meewasin Valley Interpretive Centre, Beaver Creek Interpretive Centre, Meewasin Skating Rink, Administration Office, shop, etc.);
- Collect seed, propagate and install plant material;
- Develop policy and standards for development; and
- Provide asset management of tools, equipment and supplies.